Thursday, February 3, 2011

setttling into life again

Every semester it seems lately that I go through anxiety over my overarching life plans. What the hell am I doing with my life? Whomever I talk to is able to influence what I think I will be doing in life. If I talk about future plans with my (now ex) advisor of Spanish I think I might end up doing something with Spanish. If I'm talking to one of my psychology professors, I lean towards graduate school. Recently I was talking to a doctor at this clinic I will be volunteering at and I got the notion in my head that I could have M.D. following my name, because "you can do anything if M.D. follows your name." That was shortlived because I'm not really a nat sci type of person. The truth is I really don't know what I will be doing or where I will be living. Dar is in New York paving a path out of nothing, really brave of her to grab at her dreams. I'm really scared of that uncertainty. I don't want to work at F's or a restaurant like it after I graduate. I look at people who have graduated college or university and go back to working low-paying low-degree of training or work needed jobs and I get really scared now. I never want to entertain the thought that "that could be me." I want to do something and be somebody. All my current plans involve are figuring out what the heck I'm going to be doing next year for a thesis and applying for a fulbright. That's easy, a year where I don't have to worry about what I'm doing in life, putting off the eventuallity of a life career or lack thereof. If I don't get a fulbright I want to apply or look into other programs where I can study or teach or research or work in another country, preferably a Spanish speaking one, but hey I don't mind picking up another language. My real fear is that I will settle into a dead end job like I have now at F's, readers, please NEVER let me fall into that pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment