Saturday, June 25, 2011

Really Rachel?

Over my many years as an adult I have come to terms with the fact that I have difficulties with manual manipulation and figuring out how a 3-d object works. This can manifest in several ways, I have trouble doing origami, figuring out those 3-d metal mind-benders, figuring out how to fix cars, and doing simple chores around the house. I was left in charge of changing the air filter at my house. The time came to change out the filter, I knew where the air vent was, I knew where the filter was, I did NOT however know how to take off the air vent cover. There was a little metal loop sticking out of the air vent, presumably to help one open the air vent and replace said filter. After 5 minutes of messing around with this little metal loop, pulling it up, pushing it to the right and to the left, and pushing it in, I was extremely frustrated. Perhaps, I needed tools. I do not have tools, for one. Second, I cannot even remember the names of the tools, they are all "tools" to me and differentiating each one is a difficult affair, let alone use them properly or know what they are intended for. After another couple of minutes wrestling with the little loop and even shoving on it this way and that with a pen I finally got it open. I need to change the filter again soon. Guess what? I don't remember how to open it. Simple, right? I've done it before, it shouldn't be too difficult now that I have the experience and memory. Not at all. I remember many different methods to "open" the vent but don't actually recall which way was the correct way. Perhaps it may take me less time to figure it out all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment