Saturday, June 25, 2011

Again, really Rachel?

Sitting in Starbucks sipping my mocha frappucino, charging both my computer and phone, feeling the cool airconditioning. Just like home. Actually, not so much since the power went out this morning. The house was heating up. I couldn't access the internet and my phone was about to die. That's why I am sitting here at Starbucks (I even told the Barista as such when I ordered something "sweet, creamy, and chocolaty"). The best part of the story is how I tried to turn the power back on. Sometimes I wonder how I will survive living on my own. When I told my mom this she retorted, "you are living on your own." I sarcastically responded with, "but I don't even know where the breaker is in my OWN house." Apparently I don't know where the breaker is to the house I have lived in for 8 years. Sadly I swear I could remember my mother futzing with the breaker on more than one occasion and I was convinced it was in the little room we had converted from washer/dryer room to bedroom to music room. I looked in there and .... nothing. There was the airconditioning unit and something fishy-looking in the closet that had been painted over but nothing that had switches like a rocket. I walked over to the shed that is not even connected to the house, remembering that it contained the switch controlling the hot water but again... nothing. I went back to both these locations several times becoming quite exasperated. Finally I decided to go with my hunch and returned to the closet in the little room. Why would they paint over something that looked like it should open? I tried pulling the handle, a little movement but not even close. There were screw looking things and If I had dismantled the closet shelf I might be able to take off the screws and open it that way... but in an emergency and without power I'm sure such drastic measures should not be needed to get into the breaker. So, like any young 21 year old in an emergency... I called my mommy. Guess where the breaker is? Right outside the back door in the lanai. Guess what you have to do to open it? Pull the handle. Guess what happened when I turned all the switches off and then on. Nothing. Apparently the storms had done a bit of damage that was more widespread than just my house. Sitting in Starbucks, writing on my blog, charging my electronics, and waiting for the power to come back on....

1 comment:

  1. I know a guy who had an electric lawn mower (100' cord). One day while mowing some thick grass, the engine bogs down and then dies. It won't start up again. The guy thinks, "oh great" because his wife and in-laws made fun of the electric weeny-power mower. So the guy goes and buys a normal gas powered mower for $165 (thank goodness for cheap chinese imports!) and finishes the lawn.

    A few weeks later (grass is looking awesome BTW!) he notices his refrigerator in the garage is off. A bad feeling starts to come to him ... the fridge is plugged into a GFCI receptacle that has been tripped and upon pushing the little 'reset' button in the receptacle the fridge starts up again. The bad feeling increases as he finds the electric lawn mower, plugs it back into the same receptacle it had been plugged into a couple of weeks ago when it died (right under the fridge plug) and it fires up instantly...punch line is the guy is an electrical engineer ("Tau beta Pi" no less!)

    ReplyDelete