Thursday, October 13, 2011

impromptu public speech

My school has had a lack of applications in the past year or so and to try to up the number of people applying they did this thing for fall break to promote the school to high schools near and far. They sent off students with postcards and a mission: talk to you high school career counselor/college counselor about New College and have him or her fill out a simple postcard and send it in and get put into a lottery for $500 cash! Good odds right? In the real lotto, it has been said that you have a greater chance of getting hit by lightning than winning. With this local lotto, I have the same odds as dying in a motorcycle incident (2007). Since there are less than 900 persons able to do this, count on at least half not doing it to begin with (450), about half those not bothering (225). Those odds look super good!  Add in general attrition and the odds would most likely be 1 in a 100. So I have pretty good chance of winning money! Woot. Anyways I meant to be talking about MY experience talking to my own high school career counselor.

Upon driving up to my high school (it had been a while) I was immediately bewildered. I remember where most everything is, and could see what I had thought the administration building was, however it was surrounded by orange tape, piles of dirt, and heavy machinery. Ok, I drove around a new road, recently added and found a close parking lot. I was wondering if they had moved the administration to a new building or if I could access the building I thought was the one from the other side. The parking lot (I am notorious for getting lost in parking garages and being confused in parking lots, and I'm no dumbie-spelling?) was not straightforward though it was one way and I ended up driving in the wrong direction to find a parking spot (I swear I didn't see the arrow 'til it was too late).    

So I go up to the administrative building, which was actually the building I thought it was. I bypass the administrating people and go right up to the guidance/career office (no pass I'm so hardcore lol). I walked right up to him and he actually recognized me and introduced me to the ten or so students who were doing various things in the office as "number one in her class, the one who made me this apple that so many students ask about." When I graduated from high school I got a bunch of fake apples and wrote on them and gave them to the teachers I liked or the people who had helped me a lot (like Mr. A and my personal guidance counselor for VPA). I told him why I had come (talk about New College etc) and he told me I should give a presentation to the students there since the other NCF student hadn't when she came in.

A little nervous I began giving my impromptu public speech. Interesting enough I started by talking about how comfy the new chairs were in the new building. Stupid yes but I soon segwayed into my AOC, how the classes were, thesis, grades, etc. I told them that if they hadn't already they should tour. It was super cool that I felt that I gave a good presentation and didn't actually feel that nervous. I didn't actually forget everything like usual in a speech. Maybe it was that I wasn't prepared to give a speech, the familiarity I have with the subject, or the casual atmosphere that caused me to not fail hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment