Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Racism and Stereotyping in the workplace

He walks up to me as I stand patiently at the hostess podium, "let's see if I can remember..." I joke with him, and continue while counting on my fingers, "no Hispanics, no Blacks, no Rednecks, no Young People, No Old People, no single people, no kids?" He is all seriousness, "kids are ok." and then his customers' beckon to him. he walks away as a little bell chimes twice to indicate that a door is being opened. I look towards the door and perk up a little, getting back into "Happy Hostess" mode. The incoming couple are older and clearly together. The man has on a grin as I say "two for dinner?" The man responds not with an answer but his own quesiton, "Remember what I told you last time?" Instead of placing the man with what he said, as I have very poor fuciform facial memory, I try instead to remember anything interesting anyone has told me in the past couple of weeks, nothing pertinent comes to mind, so I stutter a bit and smile helplessly. "That's right," He chimes in "Keep on smiling."

No comments:

Post a Comment