Thursday, May 5, 2011

summer sweater

In Florida at least, without objection, it is summer. It is humid, hot, and oppressive midday until the sun starts to set. I was working (serving) and three older people walked into the restaurant and I happened to be near the hostess podium and we were without a hostess so I sat them. As I was walking them to a table I had designated as good for three the one lady said, "give us your warmest table." Without blinking an eye at this odd request for the summer (since it is only mildly air-conditioned there) I told them, "The temperature is the same throughout the restaurant but here by the window you should get the sunlight to keep you warm." The other lady replied as she pulled her light sweater from her bag, "Well, we did come prepared." The first lady nodded and reached into her own bag for her light sweater. Really ladies, sweaters? In Florida? When it's at least 85 degrees out and around 80 inside, a sweater?

No comments:

Post a Comment